Friday 6 November 2015

Chapter 3 - Machine stitches

My first real foray into my machine's embroidery stitches. I treated myself to a Janome TXL607 for my birthday earlier this year so I have plenty to choose from.

 Fig. 3.1
Sample a is a zig-zag stitch using the stitch length control.
Sample b is the same stitch but this time altering the width control.
Sample c is a 3-step wave stitch altering both width and length controls.

 Fig. 3.2
Sample d shows a 3-step battlement stitch altering both width and length controls across the sample.
Sample e is a leaf embroidery stitch again altering both width and length 
Sample f is a honeycomb diamond pattern altering the length and width of the stitch and playing with the spacing between the rows. This looks a bit like reptilian scales.

 Fig. 3.3
Sample g uses a straight stitch in non-parallel lines to produce a shaded sample, which is quite effective.
Sample h is worked as above but this time with a honeycomb pattern which I found a little more tricky to control.
Sample i is a wave pattern using black thread on the spool and white on top - the reverse side is showing in the sample. I like this one a lot!

 Fig. 3.4
Sample j is whip stitch with black thread on the spool and white thread through the needle using a straight stitch.
Sample k is whip stitch again but this time using a zig-zag stitch, again with black thread on the spool and white through the needle. My machine revolted at doing a close zig-zag but it has made for an interesting effect on the reverse of this piece.
Sample l is cable stitch with Perle 16 black thread hand wound onto the spool and white thread through the needle, using a straight stitch.

Fig. 3.5
Sample m is cable stitch as before but this time with Perle 8 hand wound onto the spool.
Sample n is cable stitch again with Perle 8 on the spool but this time using a 3-step curved zig-zag stitch.
 
The whip stitch and cable stitch samples shown in Figs. 3.4 and 3.5 were achieved by completely bypassing the spool mechanism as my machine has a drop-in spool so without dismantling the machine it is impossible to reach the tension screw on the bobbin case. 

I'm not too sure how successful some of these samples have been and feel that I need to practice and experiment a bit more with them before I feel totally comfortable. I suspect that it's never going to overtake my love of hand stitching though.

No comments:

Post a Comment