Sunday 17 May 2015

Chapters 5 & 6 - Progressing to fabric

I've not taken a photograph of my fabrics as there are so many small pieces of sheers, nylons and silks. I also had great fun using my gelli-plate to do some mono-printing, I painted bondaweb and ironed it onto fabric, and I made a snippet fabric from small pieces of threads and ribbons. The results will be seen in all the samples that follow.

So ... onto Chapter 6 and my bonded samples
Fig. 1
A symmetric design based on the Islamic tiles using plain cotton as background fabric, topped with a monoprinted cotton and finally a pale blue/grey silk.

Fig. 2
Another symmetric design, this time using the silk as a background with another monoprinted cotton as a first layer, topped with my snippet cloth (threads sandwiched between cotton and a fine net.

 Fig. 3
The background fabric for this asymmetric design is a piece of muslin which I had used to clean up my gelli-plate, topped with yet another monoprinted cotton and a piece of baby-wipe which again had been used to clean up after a painting session. Once attached with bondaweb the baby-wipe feels just like fabric and the paints have made an interesting pattern.

Fig. 4
Yet another monoprinted cotton as a background for my starfish (who in this piece appear to be dancing!). The large star is the cotton topped with painted bondaweb and the smaller star is a piece of white chiffon which I dyed with Brusho.


No comments:

Post a Comment