Wednesday 23 August 2017

Chapter 9: Edges

For this chapter we were asked to think about how we might edge the pages of our books ...

 Fig. 9.1
In the samples above ...
1. A fabric binding wrapped over the edge of the paper and stitched in place (either by machine or hand; with a straight stitch or a pattern stitch).
2. Buttonhole stitch over the edge
3. The edge here is roughly oversewn, which is particularly suited to an uneven edge like the one here though I can't pretend to like the rough and ready appearance of the stitching.
4. Cross stitches over the page edge
5. Here I couched coloured paperclips in place. This edge has been cut rather than torn but it would work equally well on the naturally uneven edge of a piece of handmade paper and I do rather like this effect.
6. Wooden beads have been attached with a buttonhole stitch along the edge.


Fig. 9.2
Each year I spend a week with my lace tutor in Wales and one year I was making samples of edgings that I might use on my needlelace pieces. I thought I would include these here as they would also work in this context.


Fig. 9.3

There are all the beaded edges that I made during Module 3 of this course and I jotted down a few further ideas thought haven't actually made samples of these.

Lots of options to choose from now though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment