Sunday 14 May 2017

Chapter 5: Drawn thread work

I began my experiments for the first exercise on a jute hessian fabric, which I'd bought a pack of from a £1 shop and never found a use for. The fabric is coarse and was actually perfect for this exercise.

 Fig. 5.1
Sample 1 has two threads withdrawn vertically
Sample 2 has two threads withdrawn both vertically and horizontally

Fig. 5.2
Sample 3 has two threads withdrawn horizontally and four vertically. The threads remaining have been left in the same ratio.
Sample 4 has four threads withdrawn both horizontally and vertically.

 Fig. 5.3
Sample 5 has six threads withdrawn both horizontally and vertically with four threads left between.
Sample 6 has blocks of threads withdrawn to resemble a window pane.

Fig. 5.4
Sample 7 has increasing blocks of threads removed leaving four threads between each block.
Sample 8 has increasing blocks of threads removed leaving the remaining threads in the same ratio as those removed.

I did note the instruction to only remove threads in pairs but couldn't resist wondering what would happen if I didn't do that! What if I pulled alternate threads? I got some very interesting results which I'm currently needleweaving to highlight the resulting weaves so will include those in the next chapter.

The second exercise was to pull threads along rather than completely removing them. For these samples I dyed some linen scrim with cold water dyes in blue and brown.

Fig. 5.5
 Fig. 5.5 shows threads having been pulled to both top and bottom of the fabric to distort the striped pattern - I love this effect and will definitely do this again!

Fig. 5.6
Figure 5.6 shows threads having been pulled from the centre of the piece rather than from the ends. They have been pulled both vertically and horizontally resulting in some interesting checked patterns. The loops have been left on the surface as added decoration.

Fig. 5.7 
For figure 5.7 groups of threads were cut at one end, withdrawn and the threads were then bundled together, woven in along the length and secured with a knot. Although this photograph doesn't really show it, the fact that the knot has shortened the threads has added an interesting texture to the piece as well - one which could be exploited further if desired.

Fig. 5.8
Finally in Figure 5.8 blocks of threads were removed and the threads woven back in around the bars and loosely knotted around the intersections.I varied the sides from which I withdrew the threads so leaving some blocks empty while other areas are filled with spiralling threads.

2 comments:

  1. I was particularly interested in the latter half of this exercise. The use of two colours gives a completely different dimension. I initially thought that 5.5 had been gathered into soft pleats!
    Thank you for posting your progress with the course. I've often considered a course but always talk myself out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd always done the same thing but then a couple of years ago I thought ... 'if you don't do it now you're never going to do it' and I've never regretted the decision. It's good fun and you learn a lot!

      Delete