Saturday 1 August 2015

Chapter 10 - Chenille

I have to say, up front, I love, love, love this technique!!
I started by drawing my slightly asymmetric five pointed star with lines going in various directions and then decided to do a sample with stars stitched within stars. There are five layers of silk, organza and scrim on a backing of muslin in this first sample. I think, however, that because of the small sample size I stitched my lines too close together so the fabrics didn't get a proper chance to fray.


So I stitched a bigger sample, again with five layers of silk and cotton on a calico backing this time to give the sample a bit more body. I stitched parallel lines through my initial star shape this time but only slashed the fabric inside the star and this time the lines were further apart. Putting this sample on the scanner to take the photograph may have flattened the pile a little but I'm very pleased with this piece and may well use this technique in my final resolved piece as I do think it represents disintegration/decay quite well.









No comments:

Post a Comment